Designed as a TTC vertical subway poster.
Here’s an example of a poster on the TTC subway:
I based it off the Seneca winter 2012 ad campaign. The people, pigeon and Seneca logo were vector elements brought in from Illustrator. Original poster size: 20×28 inches.
What we’re doing here is taking an image and recreating the environment to give the effect of different seasons. Original (picture of New York Central Park by unknown person)
Summer! (or I guess you could even take the original for this)
Makin it snow in Winter!
And finally, Spring (didn’t come out that well…)
My second painting, this time I added highlights to it…
Original sketch by hamex on deviantart:
Created in Photoshop CS5. Logo created in Illustrator. Click image to view full size.
You can download the psd file here!
Something I created recently in Photoshop CS5. Source files here (images and psd file)
[Click image to view larger size, redirects to Flickr]
A Superman painting, with a twist!
Original art (by AJWcomix on deviantart):
Hours and hours of work on this illustration finally paid off today…I learned quite a bit about Illustrator thanks to this project, I really didn’t have any idea about using the mesh tool but now it seems like a very easy process.
Here is the original sketch by EriDaiho on Deviantart:
I started off with tracing out the sketch…at first I had a lot of trouble deciding where to cut off the strokes and which sketch details I should trace out. Also, I was worried that tracing it out wrong would also conflict in coloring it later. This caused me to close down some paths later on when I was adding gradients and coloring using the mesh tool. The part where I remained undecided on the tracing was the nose, which was drawn a bit funny in the sketch. I wasn’t sure of what the final sketched lines were for the nose, so I just went with what seemed to work for me.
Once the tracing was done, I took off with the mesh tool on the character’s left arm left arm. As I used the mesh tool, I found it very difficult to align it properly with the arm. This is where I finally figured out the clipping mask and why people always quickly trace out the area they’re coloring with the pen.
I wasn’t quite sure as to what the character really looked like since I never really played Assassin’s Creed, so I got an image and made a swatch with colors from that image to use as a starting point:
Amazing detail can be created using the mesh tool, and I extensively used it for most of the character…
By the time I was done, I would say 70% of my character was colored with the mesh tool:
On completion, I noticed a whole range of problems:
I realized I’d colored one of the character’s parts of the tunic wrong, and that the points where I used the gradient tool looked out of place. The problem was that the gradients were set up right, but not angled at all. I then angled each gradient in the image, as well as fixing some of the colors to make the blend in better. And finally, I had my result:
Final. Though it turned out nice, the boots could have still be done better, and I didn’t really get time to play with the width tool on the strokes too much. The vambrace on his Altair’s left hand also looks like it could’ve been done better.
As part of the alien project, we had to create a style guide for our brand.
Click here to view the style guide for Enix!
hmm…magazine shoe ad for an assignment
I started off with just spending some time on the idea and what kind of shoes I’d be marketing. Browsed a bunch of websites, google search, etc. Decided to go with formal shoes and the main target would be white-collar workers, so I got a pair of them and took a bunch of pictures to get going…
I didn’t really like the look of them as I didn’t have proper lightning at the time, plus the shadows would’ve been lost if I had cut out just the shoe. The thing is, formal shoe ads almost always go for a simple classic look and you don’t happen to see much advertising for them either. Anyhow, I took another set of pictures later on in which I used a lightning kit and a proper background so there wouldn’t be much editing required. Tried out a few different angles to picture the shoes and stuck to one of them later on:
A friend of mine suggested adding a tie to the ad before my second attempt (above), which I thought was an amazing idea as I needed something simple yet effective in the ad which didn’t require going over the top or drifting away from the classic feel which I was aiming for. I decided to go with this picture at the end from the 3-4 I had come down to:
I started off with the 8.5×11 Photoshop doc, setting up 0.25 inch borders (guides) on each end and half inch borders on each end for the height.I inserted the image in, adjusted its vibrancy and saturation to tone it down and give it a retro type of feel. The image above also has the tie standing out a bit too much, it often takes the eye off the shoe so the tie needed to be toned down as well. Once that was done, I grabbed the ALDO font from a website, setup the type around the ad including a bit of info on the shoe and then started lookin for a good slogan/tagline:
“Make your mark” and “Work with confidence” were the only two that popped out for me in relation to the tie so I went with the latter. After adding the slogan, I noticed that it felt a bit too lonely on one end so I added these horizontal bars to balance out the image.
Contact me if you need any of the original images I took.