Monthly Archives: March 2012
A short animation I was working on before that I hadn’t completed for a while. Got the bike model from someone, added headlights and animated it in Cinema 4D. Composited in After Effects CS5, added some background music using Magix Music Maker and that was it:
Some shots of the TEL (Technology Enhanced Learning) building, a joint project by York University and Seneca College of Applied Arts:
Tracing the New Hampshire team logo in Illustrator!
Here is the original logo that was traced on
I looked at the logo and it seemed that the easiest way to go would be to fill in the middle with black and trace everything around it. I started off with the borders.
After the borders, I went on to trace the letters for New Hampshire. A bit tricky as you need to make sure you angle the paths right as they’re on an arc.
Followed this with the lightning above the dog’s head and then with the Fisher Cats type.
The Fisher Cats text was pretty much the most time-consuming part as you perfect the lettering, everything else didn’t take much time. Originally, I had traced the ‘C’ in Cats as having the actual C behind the claw (I approximated the shape), but I later realized this wouldn’t work out as the black space on top of C would be just the background and would require extra work in order to send just that part of the letter back. So I retraced the C from under the claw as you can see below. I had also forgotten to trace certain parts, such as part of the ball and that little triangle between Fisher and Cats, which I found out later as I compared the original with the tracing.
After the entire logo was traced, I went over it to see where I could cut down unnecessary nodes and then started with filling the paths. At first, I had a ton of problems as the pathfinder tool was making things really complicated. Later, I found out it was easier to just move around the layers. I moved the outlines (outer borders) to the bottom, and then every layer would be on top of it. Same went with the gap in the middle for ‘s’ and ‘e’ in ‘Fisher’, instead of using the Pathfinder I found it easier to just reorder the layers and fill in those shapes with black.
Here’s the final result!
Comparison of Final vs Original (the one with the white background is the original):
hmm…magazine shoe ad for an assignment
I started off with just spending some time on the idea and what kind of shoes I’d be marketing. Browsed a bunch of websites, google search, etc. Decided to go with formal shoes and the main target would be white-collar workers, so I got a pair of them and took a bunch of pictures to get going…
I didn’t really like the look of them as I didn’t have proper lightning at the time, plus the shadows would’ve been lost if I had cut out just the shoe. The thing is, formal shoe ads almost always go for a simple classic look and you don’t happen to see much advertising for them either. Anyhow, I took another set of pictures later on in which I used a lightning kit and a proper background so there wouldn’t be much editing required. Tried out a few different angles to picture the shoes and stuck to one of them later on:
A friend of mine suggested adding a tie to the ad before my second attempt (above), which I thought was an amazing idea as I needed something simple yet effective in the ad which didn’t require going over the top or drifting away from the classic feel which I was aiming for. I decided to go with this picture at the end from the 3-4 I had come down to:
I started off with the 8.5×11 Photoshop doc, setting up 0.25 inch borders (guides) on each end and half inch borders on each end for the height.I inserted the image in, adjusted its vibrancy and saturation to tone it down and give it a retro type of feel. The image above also has the tie standing out a bit too much, it often takes the eye off the shoe so the tie needed to be toned down as well. Once that was done, I grabbed the ALDO font from a website, setup the type around the ad including a bit of info on the shoe and then started lookin for a good slogan/tagline:
“Make your mark” and “Work with confidence” were the only two that popped out for me in relation to the tie so I went with the latter. After adding the slogan, I noticed that it felt a bit too lonely on one end so I added these horizontal bars to balance out the image.
Contact me if you need any of the original images I took.
Understanding depth of field by varying f-stops…
Shooting 3 different objects in focus using F/4 and then stopping down to F/22 to get all three in focus. What I noticed was that I lost a bit of sharpness as I went from F/4 to F/22, which I later found out is due to diffraction.
Ken Rockwell has a pretty good article on it in which he talks about how “If you stop down more you get sharper results, but if you stop down too far, diffraction gives you softer results, just like squinting your eyes. The very best aperture is someplace between these two, and I’m going to show you how to find it exactly.” ( http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/focus.htm )
[Click on images to view them larger (redirects to Flickr)]