Designed as a TTC vertical subway poster.
Here’s an example of a poster on the TTC subway:
I based it off the Seneca winter 2012 ad campaign. The people, pigeon and Seneca logo were vector elements brought in from Illustrator. Original poster size: 20×28 inches.
Flash animations generally don’t require too much work if your assets are all setup and you have everything planned out. This was a pretty simple scene with a looping background and a run cycle.
Starting off, I got an image to use as the run cycle for a feline:
Once the image was traced out in Illustrator, I added a gradient and started testing out the animation in Flash since I hadn’t tried it before.
I then came back to Illustrator to add spots to the cheetah and shadows as well. The shadows were just flipped, re-sized versions of the original with reduced opacity.
Moving to Flash, I imported my frames and started setting up my animation. I then imported grass and ground elements from other illustrator files.
I’d already setup one of the layers with a large width to animate so I set that up for the other grass as well, but instead I did it in Flash. This was done by duplicating and reflecting the image onto it’s right side so the part where they join matches along with the beginning and the end ensuring a smooth loop. This was then classic tweened from right to left.
I added clouds and a simple background and was almost done with the animation. Just to test out how audio worked, I also added a song from the lion king soundtrack on a separate layer.
And finally, it was complete! Click to view the flash animation!
♠ Leave me an email (contact page) if you need any help setting up your animation!!
As part of the alien project, we had to create a style guide for our brand.
Click here to view the style guide for Enix!
Tracing the New Hampshire team logo in Illustrator!
Here is the original logo that was traced on
I looked at the logo and it seemed that the easiest way to go would be to fill in the middle with black and trace everything around it. I started off with the borders.
After the borders, I went on to trace the letters for New Hampshire. A bit tricky as you need to make sure you angle the paths right as they’re on an arc.
Followed this with the lightning above the dog’s head and then with the Fisher Cats type.
The Fisher Cats text was pretty much the most time-consuming part as you perfect the lettering, everything else didn’t take much time. Originally, I had traced the ‘C’ in Cats as having the actual C behind the claw (I approximated the shape), but I later realized this wouldn’t work out as the black space on top of C would be just the background and would require extra work in order to send just that part of the letter back. So I retraced the C from under the claw as you can see below. I had also forgotten to trace certain parts, such as part of the ball and that little triangle between Fisher and Cats, which I found out later as I compared the original with the tracing.
After the entire logo was traced, I went over it to see where I could cut down unnecessary nodes and then started with filling the paths. At first, I had a ton of problems as the pathfinder tool was making things really complicated. Later, I found out it was easier to just move around the layers. I moved the outlines (outer borders) to the bottom, and then every layer would be on top of it. Same went with the gap in the middle for ‘s’ and ‘e’ in ‘Fisher’, instead of using the Pathfinder I found it easier to just reorder the layers and fill in those shapes with black.
Here’s the final result!
Comparison of Final vs Original (the one with the white background is the original):