This was probably one of the most exciting parts of this project, as I’d never really worked with Super Sculpey before. Now that I had created the skate deck, I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted my hand to look like in terms of shape and texture. I bought a couple meters of copper wire as a way to create a mesh for the hand.
Here’s what I started out with:
– Acrylic Paint (shades of green)
– Copper wire (2 meters)
– Super Sculpey (1 pound)
– Carving tools (or use your fingers)
– An oven (to bake the clay once you’ve made it)
Shaped the sculpey after kneading it for a bit…I didn’t really end up using the mesh itself but I did use it as a reference to create the shape.
After baking, painted it with a couple shades of green and that was it!!
As part of the alien project I created a skate deck design in Illustrator. Started off with a bunch of ideas, creating my logo as well as the brand name and deciding on the colors which was also tied in with the style guide I posted a while earlier.
[Click any image to view it larger — redirects to Flickr]
Creating the logo:
Changing the logo up a bit as it didn’t turn out right:
I then started to take a look at my hand sketches, as the hand will also be the sculpture I will soon be posting up. I started to trace out one of my sketches in Illustrator…
After tracing out the hand, I put in quite some time adjusting it and applying certain effects to get a certain look.
At this point, I inserted the hand trace to the center of the skate deck, added my name and ‘Enix’ (my brand name) on the deck and and started working around it. I already had designated colors to use according to my style guide. Some of these images have minor changes which might not be that noticeable. I went back and forth quite a few times to adjust the hand.
This was followed by adding a few Photoshop brushes to the edges and on the hand as well, which I had quite a few to pick from. I arranged them in a way I thought they would look interesting.
An image of the walking strip on a treadmill was used as the background texture. Finally, I added a few effects to the hand, a radial gradient to the entire board and it was good to go!
Final result (which was to be printed):
Here’s a few pics of the skate deck after I got my design printed out and mounted!! The only thing that didn’t quite turn out right was how the logo doesn’t seem to blend in well with the hand. Still a bit rough on the edges…